Activities involved in records management are:
• Identifying the information which needs to be captured.
• Information planning for the organization.
• Enforcement of policies and practices regarding creation, maintenance, disposal of records
• Creation of a records storage plan.
• Classification, identification and storing the records.
• Coordination of providing internal and external access to the records keeping in view of data privacy and business and data confidentiality.
Benefits brought by records management are:
• Increase of productivity and accountability in the organization.
• Reduction in research for the right information. Resources are saved from time consuming research for data retrieval.
• Cost-effective record storage due to absence of redundant records. Operating costs are reduced.
• Creation of records are governed by standards and regulations present in the organization. Thus, it ensures regulatory compliance.
• Document management helps in controlling the creation and growth of records.
• Document management brings in the capability to adopt new technologies for record keeping.
• Litigation risks are minimized using Document management.
• Vital information can be well protected and secure using Document management.
• By providing easy and better access to relevant records, it helps in better governance and corporate decision-making.